Self-determination is the right of all people to participate in and approve of the design of their personal support systems, to fully engage in their communities, and to make choices in their daily lives. Though the ultimate exercise of self-determination is having people direct their own supports, not every individual receiving home and community-based services (HCBS) may be eligible for or interested in the self-directed services available where they live. Provider-directed services, such as community-based group homes, supported employment, day programs, or shared living will continue to be part of the array of options available to people needing support. Human services providers, however, can infuse self-determination in every aspect of service delivery by helping people exert greater control over their environments and make choices about their everyday lives. In this webinar, panelists will explore strategies and resources to assist HCBS providers in championing self-determination among the people they serve, including the NCAPPS Human Services Provider Agency Toolkit for Self-Determination.
- Jeff Keilson serves as Senior Vice-President at Advocates and on Disability Policy Consortium’s Board of Directors.
- Keith Scott is Vice President of Peer Support and Self-Advocacy at Advocates, a private, non-profit human services agency in eastern Massachusetts where he has worked in a variety of positions since 1989.
- Cindy Ostrowski has been supporting and advocating for people with disabilities since 1989. Cindy is the Chief Executive Officer at Hiawatha Homes, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to providing quality support services for individuals with disabilities at home and in the community of Rochester, MN.
- Kenny Bedtka lives in Rochester, MN at a group residential house for people with different abilities, called Hiawatha Homes.
- Sahra Hussein has been living in Rochester, MN since 1994 and has been a Direct Support Professional for 14 years.
NCAPPS webinars include ASL interpretation, live English captions, and live Spanish interpretation. Please contact Saska Rajcevic at email@example.com if you require additional accommodations. All NCAPPS webinars are recorded and archived and can be viewed on the NCAPPS Webinars page.