The use of medications to treat mental illness and opioid and alcohol use disorders can produce life changing benefits. However, these medications also have significant side effects. Non-adherence to medications is generally more common among persons with mental disorders than individuals with physical health conditions. and can negatively impact health outcomes and increase costs. Interdisciplinary teams in integrated care settings have the opportunity to improve medication adherence among patients by incorporating shared decision making into the provider-patient relationship, using motivational interviewing to promote adherence, establishing pharmacies onsite to reduce barriers to accessing medications, and engaging family members in the treatment plan. This webinar will review the importance of medication adherence and key recommendations for organizations to promote medication adherence.
After this webinar, participants will learn to:
- Better understand the impact of medication non-adherence on the individual, family and community
- Better understand consumers’ perspectives and concerns related to medication
- Learn about several key recommendations to improved medication adherence
- Hear about how one integrated care setting is successful in promoting medication adherence
- Identify tools and resources to promote medication adherence
Registration link: https://goto.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1194137&tp_key=10d9acb6df