You can view the webinar recording below. Supporting documents such as webinar slides, transcript, speaker bios, and additional resources are available to download by scrolling to the attachments section below.
This is Module 1 of 3 within the Pain in People with Developmental Disabilities webinar series, part of the Professional Development Webinars focused on individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD). This module addresses general principles of pain and its individual variables; how medications sensitize people with developmental disabilities to pain; changes in pain management medications; varieties of chronic pain syndrome. The links on the right will allow you to access all other intellectual and developmental disabilities professional development courses offered through this collaboration.
Following the webinar, participants should be:
- Familiar with the body structures and functions involved in pain sensations.
- Able to enumerate the individual variables involved in pain such as sensitivity and resilience.
- Able to identify how medications sensitize people with developmental disabilities to pain in withdrawal and medication change scenarios.
- Able to explain how understanding the mechanism of pain contributes to promoting better outcomes.
- Able to systematically compare and contrast the varieties of chronic pain syndromes.
- Able to incorporate this knowledge into planning and promoting successful outcomes.
The following resources have been included here for your convenience: