You can view the webinar recording below. Supporting documents such as webinar slides, transcript, speaker bios, and additional resources are available to download by scrolling to the attachments section below.
This is webinar 2 of 3 in the Growing Older: Implications for People with Disabilities webinar series, part of the Professional Development Webinars focused on individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD). People with intellectual disabilities experience the cognitive impairments associated with dementias in much the same way as the general population. Responses and the development of coping mechanisms, however, become complicated because the person with limited intellectual abilities struggles more profoundly to understand what is happening. The links on the right will allow you to access all other intellectual and developmental disabilities professional development courses offered through this collaboration.
This module focuses on the following areas:
- The various dementias and how they may manifest in individuals with intellectual disabilities;
- The evaluation and assessment tools available for accurately diagnosing the progression of dementia;
- Differential diagnosis of behavior changes associated with dementia and the onset of a mental illness;
- The various ways individuals will compensate for declining cognitive abilities;
- The scope and typical progression of dementia – both physically and cognitively; and
- Dementia considerations for people with Down syndrome.
The following resources have been included here for your convenience: