Register here for this in-person summit.
On June 21-24, 2022, the Utah State University Extension’s Tribal and Rural Opioid Initiative (TROI) will host the 5th Annual Intertribal Opioid Wellness Summit in Vernal, Utah! The community-focused Summit will begin at 5pm MDT (7pm EDT) on June 21st with a community prevention activity.
“This year’s summit theme is Nuh-Nuh-Muh (Together): Reconnecting & Healing, which reflects our commitment to sharing ideas, strategies, and best practices to address the opioid epidemic. I hope this summit will ignite our sacred duty to lead the way for recovery and to heal our communities together.” – Valentina Sireech, 2022 IOWS Chairperson and Tribal & Rural Opioid Initiative Resource Center Program Coordinator.
Speakers for the 2022 Intertribal Opioid Wellness Summit include Indigenous experts on healing, recovery, and harm reduction. The summit features opportunities to connect and learn about ways to reduce opioid-related stigma.
The first 200 registrants will receive a Summit Welcome Bag.
Summit Highlights include:
- Keynote Addresses from Lissa Yellowbird-Chase, Sahnish Scouts Founder; VaRonica Little, State Opioid Response Grants Program Administrator, Utah Opioid Treatment Authority; and Reagan Wytsalucy, USU Extension Assistant Professor, Agriculture & Natural Resources, San Juan County
- Presentations from Larry Cesspooch, Ute Filmmaker/Storyteller/Spiritual Leader, “Poowavie Moppaht – The Medicine Wheel & Wavookie – Smudging”; and Katie Zaman, Sociologist and Illustrator, “Telling Stories to Reduce Stigma: Comics and Harm Reduction”
- Dr. Amy de la Garza, MD, Family Medicine Specialist, “Integration of 5-point Auricular Acudetox in the Treatment of OUD”
- June 21 – Uintah Basin First Responder Workshop, Public Family Prevention Dinner
- June 23 – Social Powwow, Native Artisan & Craft Booths, Food Trucks – open to public
- June 22-24 – Health & Wellness Resource Expo – open to public
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) (Up to 10)
- Community scholarships available
If you are a community member, and not sponsored through your workplace, you are invited to apply for a scholarship. These scholarships are provided thanks to support from TROI sponsors. Please email email@example.com for scholarship eligibility. Successful applicants will receive a PROMO CODE and more information.
All are welcome to attend! Conference Registration fee: $180.00
Please Note: You will receive a full conference agenda at the registered email address on June 1. To assist you in your travel plans, please visit bit.ly/2022-IOWS to view the at-a-glance schedule, lodging accommodations, and other information.