You can view the webinar recording below. Supporting documents such as webinar slides, transcript, and additional resources are available to download by scrolling to the attachments section below.
This webinar is also available as podcasts on SoundCloud and iTunes.
Family caregivers are an integral component of the care team making it possible for their family member to live at home rather than in an institutional setting. However, their unpaid assistance, which in 2013 amounted to around 37 billion hours, can take a toll on their physical and emotional health. In November 2016, AARP published a report detailing how managed long-term services and supports (MLTSS) can better address family caregivers’ needs. The report highlights a shift toward a person-and family-centered care approach along with new federal rules that are in place to support family caregivers in Medicaid.
This webinar provides an overview of AARP’s report including promising practices demonstrating effective family caregiver supports for adults enrolled in Medicaid MLTSS programs and for those older adults who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid. Presenters from AARP describe current innovative practices to support family caregivers in Financial Alignment Initiatives, including a focus on South Carolina Healthy Connections Prime and the Dementia Cal MediConnect Project, followed by a representative from Molina Healthcare who speaks to implementing these practices within a health plan.
In summary, the webinar presents the following information:
- Explains how managed long-term services and supports can lead the way to advancing person- and family-centered care
- Describes promising practices demonstrating effective family caregiver supports
- Provides tools and recommendations that pave the way to better addressing family caregivers’ needs
- Michelle Bentzien-Purrington, Vice President, MLTSS and Duals Strategy, Molina Healthcare, Inc.
- Wendy Fox-Grage, Senior Strategic Policy Advisor, AARP Public Policy Institute
- Lynn Friss Feinberg, Senior Strategic Policy Advisor, AARP Public Policy Institute
- Susan C. Reinhard, Senior Vice President, AARP Public Policy Institute
This webinar is intended for a wide range of stakeholders – care managers, family caregivers, staff at social service agencies, Medicare-Medicaid plans, Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNPs), managed long-term services and supports programs, and consumer organizations.